Let’s talk about confidence.
In my heart and mind, I believe all of those wonderful sentiments about confidence: that you should have it at any size, and that you should feel beautiful no matter what you look like.
And yet, when I see photos like this, where my progress is obvious, I still can’t stop seeing my thighs, my lower stomach, my upper arms, and how they still need to improve:
While I’m still working hard to lose weight, I want to work even more aggressively on feeling sexy and confident now.
Btw, even typing that I want to “feel sexy” gives me the heebie-jeebies. Obviously, I don’t want to rock some sort of Victoria’s Secret esque outfits, but I do want to feel confident, attractive and pulled together.
Awhile back, I uploaded some of my Life List goals on to GoMighty.com, and one of them was about this very thing. I wrote, “Over the past two years, I’ve lost over 70 lbs. Somewhere along the way, I also lost my ability to feel sexy. I feel strong, competent and healthy, but I’d like to feel sexy again. I know it’s buried somewhere under my body image and English teacher style. I don’t even know where to start to discover it. I still have more weight to lose, but I don’t want to wait. I want to feel proud of my body now. “
Lucky for me, the wonderful people at Olay and GoMighty read my story, and they are giving me a Life List grant to work towards my goal of feeling more confident. I know I’m not the only person who has gone through a similar transformation and wants to rediscover their confidence in how they look and feel.
Here’s where I need your help: what would YOU do to feel more confident and/or sexy? A few ideas I’ve had so far include:
- Going for a makeup lesson of sorts. I’m envisioning learning how to do a cute daytime look and a night time smoky eye, and maybe a red lip, just for fun.
- Learning how to tame my crazy (awesome!) curls into a look that goes beyond scrunching and leaving them alone.
- Finding a signature perfume.
- Replacing some of my lingerie, pajamas and loungewear since much of it is so big I can’t walk without my pants falling down (classy!).
- Finding an outfit or two that makes me feel really confident and proud of my body.
What suggestions do you have? What builds your confidence? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!